Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the forum. This is largely your space - to browse, if you are the silent type, to leave your thoughts if you so desire. We will do the tidying and sweeping up.

Please report any problems here.

Author Topic: Can I use Your Pictures on My Web Site? (F)  (Read 8127 times)

Offline John Howe

• aka Ilúvatar
  • Administrator
  • A very special John Howe Platinium Member
Can I use Your Pictures on My Web Site? (F)
« on: 13 November 2004, 07:27:11 PM »
Why didn't I think of putting this here before?

To put it in a nutshell, there are four conditions for use of any of my imagery on a web site (not including of course photos by other persons; in that case their permission must be requested).
1. That the use be strictly non-commercial.
2. That the work be properly credited.
3. That a clear link to www.john-howe.com be provided.
4. Last but not least, that the use of the image be in accordance with the image itself. This is perhaps hard to make clear, but I would refuse, for example, use of one of my pictures to promote ideas, concepts or undertakings with which I disagree, or for which the image's prime purpose is only to attract attention to something entirely different.

Obviously, I can neither control nor actually stop anyone from using what imagery of mine they decide to use on a site, but as I am generally dealing with people who appreciate the illustrations, I have run into few problems. (Most of the more amusing ones have been honest enough site owners who were "sold" my imagery by someone less scrupulous, rather like the Brooklyn Bridge...)
« Last Edit: 07 October 2005, 06:20:49 PM by jhowe »
Urim and Thummim. Accept no substitutes.
(Though Hugin and Munin will do in a pinch.)

Niggle was a painter. Not a very successful one, partly because he had many other things to do.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Offline John Howe

• aka Ilúvatar
  • Administrator
  • A very special John Howe Platinium Member
Puis-je utiliser vos images sur mon site Web ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2005, 06:21:49 PM »
Pourquoi je n'ai pas pensé à ce sujet auparavant ?

Pour faire court, il y a quatre conditions préalables à l'utilisation de n'importe laquelle de mes images sur un site Web (n’ incluant pas bien sûr des photos réalisées par d'autres personnes; dans ce cas leur permission doit être solicitée).
1. Que l'utilisation soit strictement sans but lucratif.
2. Que le travail soit correctement crédité.
3. Qu'un lien lisible et bien visible à www.john-howe.com soit affiché.
 4. Dernièrement mais non le moindre, l'utilisation de l'image  doit être conforme à l'image elle-même. C'est peut-être difficile à  faire comprendre, mais je refuserais, par exemple, l'utilisation d'une de mes images pour promouvoir des idées, des concepts ou des entreprises avec lesquelles je ne suis pas d'accord, ou pour lequel le but principal de l'image est seulement pour attirer l'attention à quelque chose d'entièrement différent. Évidemment, je peux ni contrôler, ni arrêter en réalité quelqu'un qui  décide d'utiliser mes images sur un site, mais comme je traite généralement avec les gens qui apprécient les illustrations, je me suis heurté à peu de problèmes.  (Les cas les plus amusants sont les propriétaires de site au demeurant honnêtes mais un peu crédules à qui quelqu'un moins scrupuleux a « vendu » les droits de mes images.)

Translation: Bombur
« Last Edit: 07 October 2005, 06:28:06 PM by jhowe »
Urim and Thummim. Accept no substitutes.
(Though Hugin and Munin will do in a pinch.)

Niggle was a painter. Not a very successful one, partly because he had many other things to do.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

QR Code Business Card